I volunteered a "fruit platter" to bring to the Thanksgiving Dinner my in-laws put on. I found the link for this idea on Pinterest, the source of all brilliant ideas :)
My girls helped me put orange slices, grapes, fresh pineapple, raspberries, & cherry tomatoes on bamboo BBQ skewers for the "tailfeathers". The feet and beak are made from an orange bell pepper, and the "snood" (new vocabulary word I've recently learned!) is cut out of a cherry tomato. The skewers had to be "hammered in", and I had to "pre-drill" a bit with a long punaise (thumbtack) before attaching the smaller parts with toothpicks. I love the yam for a head and neck- so much personality. I particularly enjoy his ethnic hairstyle, as well.
I didn't expect my 1-year-old to be able to help, but she jumped right in and started stabbing fruit onto skewers, too. She's a "figure-it-out-and-do-it" kind of a girl.
On the way to Grandma's, 3-year-old Adelyn said, "I love making turkeys!" So fun to be able to explore, teach, and learn creativity with these girls. "Turkey Feathers" were Adelyn's favorite dinner item. Here he is at the end of Thanksgiving Dinner...
and the next morning, after a "pre-getting our Christmas trees-breakfast" with my SIL's family.
No comments:
Post a Comment